[K12OSN] remote access suggestions

We'd like to enable students to access k12ltsp and their files remotely. Obviously, there are a number of ways to do this but I'd like to solicit opinions from those that know more than I do (which means just about everyone).

Initially we were exploring parallel needs which suggested openvpn to access files while at home and freenx to run k12ltsp from home then with further thinking, it appeared that the separate needs probably could merge into a single solution.

What are the virtues, vices of using vnc via vpn vs. freenx (would this require vpn? sorry to ask a newbie question). If we do remote vnc, is there a way to limit the number of connections and is there a way to time out current connections?

Regards,
William Fragakis
Morris Brandon Elementary, Atlanta, GA, USA (yes, we are frappr'ed)