[K12OSN] remote access suggestions

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Wed Nov 9 16:59:58 UTC 2005

We'd like to enable students to access k12ltsp and their files
remotely. Obviously, there are a number of ways to do this but I'd like
to solicit opinions from those that know more than I do (which means
just about everyone).

Initially we were exploring parallel needs which suggested openvpn to
access files while at home and freenx to run k12ltsp from home then
with further thinking, it appeared that the separate needs probably
could merge into a single solution.

What are the virtues, vices of using vnc via vpn vs. freenx (would this
require vpn? sorry to ask a newbie question). If we do remote vnc, is
there a way to limit the number of connections and is there a way to
time  out current connections?

Regards,
William Fragakis
Morris Brandon Elementary, Atlanta, GA, USA (yes, we are frappr'ed)