[K12OSN] website blocking

Casey Woods casey.woods at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 17:18:59 UTC 2005

I built a Squid / Dansguardian content filter in about 10 minutes using
Ubuntu 5.10.  Apt-get is a wonderful thing.

Config files were very straightforward and the documentation is pretty good.

I'm running it on any ancient P2 with 128 MB of ram and it runs fine.

I just created a rule on the firewall which prohibits outbound traffic
on port 80 and 443 from the terminal server to the internet.  But, there
is also a rule which allows those ports from the squid/dansguardian box.

That way, students HAVE to use the proxy.  They can't mess around or
else they can't access the internet at all.