[K12OSN] Fedora LTSP or Ubuntu LTSP, that is the question

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Thu Nov 10 13:42:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, R. Scott Belford wrote:

> Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> > On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 15:01:16 -0500, David Trask wrote
> >
> > > Jim....we just got back from Ubuntu Below Zero in Montreal....the current
> > > EdUbuntu with LTSP included is not ready for primetime....it was a last
> > > minute "shove in".  BUT....it will be ready for "Dapper" which will be
> > > released in April.  The "Breezy" version still has issues.  There are MANY
> > > exciting things coming....local devices (very cool) and even
> > > cooler....simple clustering....easy to configure....then add machines with
> > > no HD's to simply add computing power...or add a clone.  Ivan gave a
> > > presentation and it is in use at a hospital in Zagreb Croatia in grand
> > > style....I was truly impressed...and it should be easy for folks to
> > > do....very easy (GUI easy).  So...my advice?  Hold off for now...come to
> > > LinuxWorld in Boston...and we can play with the new Dapper Drake version.
> > > :-)
> >

> > I need to get a lab going so I think I will go ahead and load the FC4
> > version
> > for now.
> > The new EdUbuntu sounds awesome.  I may just have to take you up on your
> > offer
> > for LW Boston!  If you get a demo of the new Dapper before then let me know.
> >
> > Thanks for the update.
> >

> There are a number of goals for the next release
>
> http://wiki.edubuntu.org/DapperGoals
>
> As it stands, I will profess that edubuntu is an outstanding workstation
> install(1), but the server install makes one appreciate all the work behind
> the K12LTSP  The install notes spell out a few hiccups
>
> http://wiki.edubuntu.org/EdubuntuInstallNotes
>
> Known Issues
> -During install while the LTSP client environment is being set up, the
> progress reporting is a bit poor (expect this step to take about 10min).
> -bugzilla bug [WWW] #15244 will affect LTSP users.
> -The LTSP login manager is neither pretty, nor do the menus work.
> -Manual steps are required for LTSP setup (see Post Install section above for
> more details)
> -The current LTSP implementation neither supports sound nor local devices for
> the Thin Clients.
>
> The automagic configuration of NAT, Firewalling, and the LTSP in a dual nic
> environment is not yet there.  This requires some venturing into this document
>
> http://wiki.edubuntu.org/LTSPServerSetup
>
> If you think that you can install the amd64 version on an Opteron box and
> server i386 clients, you will learn that you must actually install and offer
> an i386 kernel to your clients.
>
> I have had my hiney kicked by the server setups.  I went there because a
> venturous science teacher at one of our recent donations *really* wanted
> GRASS.  The world of Debian is so rich for such a teacher, so we did it.
>
> It all just makes me say "Thanks Eric, Jim, and those who have done so much to
> make the K12LTSP a generally automagic experience."

Thanks, but keep in mind that Eric and I are also working VERY closely
with the Ubuntu developers to make Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Edubuntu as
robust as possible.  In fact, we just got back from the Ubuntu
developers meeting in Montreal, where we created specifications
for the next release (6.04 - Dapper Drake).  Expect future versions to
knock your socks off.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org