[K12OSN] rsync help

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at firstbhph.com
Fri Nov 11 13:31:32 UTC 2005

Good morning to all.

I note at least some of you use rsync on a regular basis, and would appreciate
your help.

Some background info.:  both A and B run CentOS 3.5.  SSH and rsync are
installed, and I created the user rsync, on both machines.

I have a project in which I need to update files in a directory on server B
with the originals on server A.  I have a script that accomplishes this using
rsync, and it works very well.  However, I'm prompted for a password when
connecting to server B.  As I want to cron the running of the script, I don't
want to be prompted for the password.

I've read how-to's on using rsync, and believe that I must create an rsync
server on server B.  I guess that entails creating an rsyncd.conf file, then
running rysnc as a daemon.  Prior to that, however, it looks like I need to
create an rsa key pair on server A, then get the public key to server B.
I've done this.  The how-to's go on to say that I should load the key into
memory with the "ssh-add" command.  That doesn't work unless I use the
"ssh-agent $SHELL" first.  I've done this, as well.  However, when I try to
access server B with the "slogin" command, I'm still prompted for a password.

I really need to set this up so that the script will run unattended.  Your
help would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Dimitri

believed to be clean.