Re: [K12OSN] rsync help

Dimitri Yioulos wrote:
Good morning to all.

I note at least some of you use rsync on a regular basis, and would appreciate your help.

Some background info.: both A and B run CentOS 3.5. SSH and rsync are installed, and I created the user rsync, on both machines.

I have a project in which I need to update files in a directory on server B with the originals on server A. I have a script that accomplishes this using rsync, and it works very well. However, I'm prompted for a password when connecting to server B. As I want to cron the running of the script, I don't want to be prompted for the password.

I've read how-to's on using rsync, and believe that I must create an rsync server on server B. I guess that entails creating an rsyncd.conf file, then running rysnc as a daemon. Prior to that, however, it looks like I need to create an rsa key pair on server A, then get the public key to server B. I've done this. The how-to's go on to say that I should load the key into memory with the "ssh-add" command. That doesn't work unless I use the "ssh-agent $SHELL" first. I've done this, as well. However, when I try to access server B with the "slogin" command, I'm still prompted for a password.

I really need to set this up so that the script will run unattended. Your help would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Dimitri

I've just done this for building a backup server.

Try this link as a start

http://www.hantslug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxHints/SSHwithoutPasswords

& this one

http://dsg.port.ac.uk/~rjb/misc/howto/ssh/index.php

The second one makes more sense if you've read the first one first :-)

Brian

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily the views of Portsmouth College