[K12OSN] verynice: Process measurement too slow error in log

Today all terminals locked up. I noticed the hard drive light on the server was on solid. I was unable to login to the server when directly connected to the server. This went on for about 15 - 20 min. Finally I was able to login to the server and I checked the logs to see what had just happened.

I found the following message in the messages log file:

Nov 11 09:59:31 Enterprise verynice: Process measurement too slow
Nov 11 10:00:34 Enterprise verynice: Process measurement too slow
Nov 11 10:00:42 Enterprise gdm[17795]: Ping to ws002.:0 failed, whacking display! Nov 11 10:01:15 Enterprise gconfd (julie-17923): Received signal 15, shutting down cleanly

When the server finally settled down everything was back to normal. I noticed that Calvin Park had a similar experience back in January 2005. I didn't see a solution to his post on the list. Does anyone know what happened? Our server has been running great with about 135 days of uptime.

Steve Knopik
steve sierra-computer com