[K12OSN] verynice won't control python

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Mon Nov 14 00:39:05 UTC 2005

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Peter Hartmann wrote:

> I have bad situation involving Childsplay.  In particular, when the
> game top row, 5th from the left is played, the cpu usage for that
> users python process goes up to about 90%.  I added this to
> verynice.conf and restarted verynice:
>
> hungryexe "/usr/bin/childsplay"
> hungryexe "/usr/bin/python"
>
> It has no effect on python.  What's going on here, do you know?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

I don't see the same problem on my server. But here are
a few things to try:

1) If you want childsplay to always run "nice", edit the
script /usr/bin/childsplay  and change it from:

 	python /usr/lib/childsplay/childsplay.py $* &

to:

    nice python /usr/lib/childsplay/childsplay.py $* &

2) Try out the latest version of childsplay, which I'm
getting ready to add to the next minor release of K12LTSP:

    ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/testing/RPMS/childsplay-0.81.1-1.k12ltsp.4.4.2.noarch.rpm

3) It may make a difference if your verynice.conf has
    "python" rather than "/usr/bin/python", and you probably
    want it as a "badexe" rather than "hungryexe":

 	badexe "python"

-Eric