[K12OSN] lightweight file manager with good thumbnails

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 11:09:30 UTC 2005

I've never used the rox desktop, only rox filer.

IceWM's default is a blank desktop w/ no support for
icons on the desktop (a toolbar is included, though).
I believe that the default setup in K12LTSP is for
IceWM to use Nautilus to provide icons on the desktop,
but I think that can be changed.

Sorry I can't be too much help here--my experience
with IceWM is mainly on a non-K12LTSP machine.

The toolbar in IceWM is very easy to "bulk-configure".
 It's a simple text file, which you could distribute
to students' home directories based on their group if
you wanted to.  I personally don't see any need for
icons on the desktop, but it is one of those things
that people coming from Windows think they "need"
(myself included, a couple years ago).  Now I think
the toolbar is much better because I can put tons of
applications on it and it never gets covered up by a
window.  The only problem is that it's not easily
modifiable by your average point-and-clicker -- but
maybe you don't want them to modify it anyway.

-Rob