[K12OSN] disallowing multiple instances within a certian period.

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 02:27:29 UTC 2005

On 11/15/05, Peter Hartmann <ascensiontech at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to disallow multiple instances within a certain period?
> Say 10 seconds?  This would be SO useful to us and I imagine others as
> well (especially for the apps that take a long  time to load.)  If
> there isn't already this functionality in Linux then I guess there
> could this be done by a daemon?  All the worst offending programs
> would have to be run [daemon] [program].  Then daemon checks to see if
> the user has executed the app in the period of time set by the user.
> Does such a thing exist?

In a peculiar situation we made a shell script which allowed each user
to start only upto two instances of program. Then instead of launching
program directly we made a launcher for shell script (assigning it
same name and icons!!) and users were happy.
I can pull out the script if you need.
--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux