[K12OSN] NFS Mount /home....Users Menus missing

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Fri Nov 18 15:24:15 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 08:57 -0600, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:55:13 -0600, Jim Kronebusch wrote
> > > Solid grey bars sound as though the panel has started but is either
> > > stuck in some infinite loop or the applets that draw things on the panel
> > > aren't able to load.  Try right clicking on one of the grey bars and
> > > see if the panel's right click menu (Add to panel, delete panel, etc)
> > >  comes up.  That'll tell us if the panel is processing events or if
> > > it's stuck.
> >
> > Nothing.  I could right click all day and only exhaust my fingers :-)
> >   I did notice I do have a small blip in the lower left hand edge of
> > the bottom bar. If I click this it does minimize any open windows.
> >  Other than that everything is blank and no right click action.
>
> I might add that this happens from both terminals and when sitting in front of
> the actual server.

...but will, IIRC, work when sitting on the nfs server.  And root's
account (which is not in the nfs home) works.  So there's something
happening related to nfs.

Guesses: Is the user's home directory set correctly?  So /etc/passwd
has /home/jimuser, for instance, and the nfs home directories are
mounted on /home?

Next stage in diagnostics:  strace one of the hung processes to see what
it's waiting for.  For instance,
  ps aux|grep gnome-panel |grep [testuser]
  Get the panel's process id.
  strace -p [pid]
  See if the panel is waiting for some file.
  move the mouse over a panel and see if it does anything.
  right click on it.
  etc.

We're trying to provoke the panel into telling us that there's some file
that it cannot access in the nfs situation.

Hmmm... do I recall that useradd also didn't work?  straceing that might
be even better than stracing the panel.

-Toshio