[K12OSN] NFS Mount /home....Users Menus missing

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Nov 18 18:44:57 UTC 2005

> ...but will, IIRC, work when sitting on the nfs server.  And root's
> account (which is not in the nfs home) works.  So there's something
> happening related to nfs.
>
> Guesses: Is the user's home directory set correctly?  So /etc/passwd
> has /home/jimuser, for instance, and the nfs home directories are
> mounted on /home?
>
> Next stage in diagnostics:  strace one of the hung processes to see what
> it's waiting for.  For instance,
>   ps aux|grep gnome-panel |grep [testuser]
>   Get the panel's process id.
>   strace -p [pid]
>   See if the panel is waiting for some file.
>   move the mouse over a panel and see if it does anything.
>   right click on it.
>   etc.
>
> We're trying to provoke the panel into telling us that there's some file
> that it cannot access in the nfs situation.
>
> Hmmm... do I recall that useradd also didn't work?  straceing that might
> be even better than stracing the panel.

Here is the results of the strace tests:

[jim at ltsp bin]$ ps aux|grep gnome-panel | grep jim
jim       4053  0.4  0.4  23028  9788 ?        Ssl  12:33   0:00 gnome-panel
--sm-client-id default2
jim       4152  0.0  0.0   3760   672 pts/2    S+   12:35   0:00 grep gnome-panel
[jim at ltsp bin]$ strace -p 4053
Process 4053 attached - interrupt to quit
nanosleep({0, 200000000}, {0, 3214804184}) = 0
fcntl64(29, F_SETLK, {type=F_WRLCK, whence=SEEK_CUR, start=0, len=0}

Nothing more happens when left/right clicking on the menus.  It just sits idle.

Home directory is set correctly in /etc/passwd and /home is mounted with the
users folders and is also completely browseable and editable.  It even mounts
the correct user home directory when logging in.  I can browse the file
directories like /usr/bin/gnome-terminal and run apps.  I can edit, delete and
add files.  Just no menus.