Re: [K12OSN] NFS Mount /home....Users Menus missing

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
...but will, IIRC, work when sitting on the nfs server.  And root's
account (which is not in the nfs home) works.  So there's something
happening related to nfs.

Guesses: Is the user's home directory set correctly?  So /etc/passwd
has /home/jimuser, for instance, and the nfs home directories are
mounted on /home?

Next stage in diagnostics:  strace one of the hung processes to see what
it's waiting for. For instance, ps aux|grep gnome-panel |grep [testuser]
 Get the panel's process id.
 strace -p [pid]
 See if the panel is waiting for some file.
 move the mouse over a panel and see if it does anything.
 right click on it.
 etc.

We're trying to provoke the panel into telling us that there's some file
that it cannot access in the nfs situation.

Hmmm... do I recall that useradd also didn't work?  straceing that might
be even better than stracing the panel.

Here is the results of the strace tests:

[jim ltsp bin]$ ps aux|grep gnome-panel | grep jim
jim       4053  0.4  0.4  23028  9788 ?        Ssl  12:33   0:00 gnome-panel
--sm-client-id default2
jim       4152  0.0  0.0   3760   672 pts/2    S+   12:35   0:00 grep gnome-panel
[jim ltsp bin]$ strace -p 4053
Process 4053 attached - interrupt to quit
nanosleep({0, 200000000}, {0, 3214804184}) = 0
fcntl64(29, F_SETLK, {type=F_WRLCK, whence=SEEK_CUR, start=0, len=0}

Nothing more happens when left/right clicking on the menus.  It just sits idle.

Home directory is set correctly in /etc/passwd and /home is mounted with the
users folders and is also completely browseable and editable.  It even mounts
the correct user home directory when logging in.  I can browse the file
directories like /usr/bin/gnome-terminal and run apps.  I can edit, delete and
add files.  Just no menus.

Just for laughs, have you tried selecting IceWM or KDE at login to see if they behave differently?