[ok-mail] [K12OSN] Microsoft Win2003 Terminal Server licensing

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Mon Nov 21 13:36:46 UTC 2005

On Nov 20, 2005, at 8:23 PM, John Hansknecht wrote:
> Besides the Terminal CAL's that the others are mentioning you also
> need a
> Windows client license for each linux thin client.

That's actually where the savings comes in when using Linux.  You
don't need a client license for the local thin client because you're
not running Windows on the local client.  I worked with Microsoft on
TS2003 licensing, and I had to purchase a CAL and a TSCAL for each
connection made.  I chose user licensing, because it was for just my
staff members.  If it was for a specific lab, I'd have gone with
device licensing.

The client license is needed if you boot from *windows* (like win98)
and start a client session with the actual "Remote Desktop Client"
from Microsoft.  If you are using Linux and rdesktop, there is no
local windows install to need a client for.

I'm very certain on that, because I spoke in length with Microsoft
when we had are big rollout.

-Shawn