[K12OSN] re: YUM, APT-GET or APTITUDE (Paul VanGundy)

> From: "Paul VanGundy" <vangundypw sau14 k12 nh us>
> Subject: [K12OSN] YUM, APT-GET or APTITUDE
> All,
> Which do you think is the best: YUM, APT-GET or APTITUDE?
> -Paul

On Debian/Ubuntu, apt-get.  On Yellow Dog, I expect yum is the best.

I don't really like either of them on RH/FC/CentOS, but you gotta use
what you have...so I use 'yum' there.

Aptitude is just a higher-level tool than the apt-* tools, and while
I've never tried aptitude personally I've read disparaging things
about it.  Also, the apt-* tools roughly matched the level of
functionality I had formerly with 'emerge' and (much more formerly)
with 'rpm'.  All this is to say that aptitude isn't necessarily
"better" or "worse", it's just different.

--matt

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/