Rép. : [K12OSN] ext3-fs errors, server not booting

Guy-Michel Lessard GLessard at cegepoutaouais.qc.ca
Thu Nov 24 18:14:52 UTC 2005

Here is the information for converting back and forth between ext2 and ext3.
http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/ext2toext3.htm

>>> joseph.bishay at gmail.com 2005-11-24 01:10:36 >>>

Hello,

Question - I have a FC3 ltsp server (k12ltsp) that, after a reboot,
won't boot up. It is a hardware SCSI RAID 1 on two SCSI drives. Upon
rebooting, it drops me into a Grub prompt.  When I boot up in knoppix,
I can see 2 scsi drives, but trying to mount them fails. When I check
dmesg, I see the error ext3-fs group descriptors corrupted.  So it
seems it be an issue where the bootup sequence cannot find init.  I'm
not sure how to proceed from here though. I'm weary of running fsck on
the drive since I've known that to completely trash the drive data,
but I'm not sure if installing grub from the prompt will be the right
solution.

Wisdom?

thanks.
Joseph