[K12OSN] Desktops and NIS

Martin Woolley sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Mon Nov 28 10:24:53 UTC 2005

On Monday 28 Nov 2005 09:01, Lovund Skole wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there any way to reset to default desktops when my users log in through
> NIS and have their homes on a server not running k12? I had this working in
> a previus build but I think that was just pure luck. It looks like there is
> some permission problems. Any suggestions?

If you are running kde it's a doddle.  The way that did it on our servers can
be found at http://www.openhgs.org/it.cgi/Bart - scroll down until you come
to the section "locking down the desktop"  The kicker might well cause you
problems though;  in kickerrc "Applets=" changed to "Applets2=" (depending on
your version) and I can't tell you at which this changed.

The desktop image is more challenging under kds; you can lock it down
in /usr/share/config/kdesktoprc but it is possible for them to change it.
The only way I have found to lock down the image can be found at
http://www.openhgs.org/it.cgi/InclAllServers - scroll down to 11/11/05
--
Regards
Martin Woolley

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster at bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation