[K12OSN] Re: Would like feedback...(OS and Education Mag)

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Wed Nov 30 06:22:56 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Monday, November 28, 2005 at 8:36 PM +0000 wrote:
>[Dave T. - Any chance we could devote some time at one of the NELS
>gatherings to push forward such an effort?]

Sure, but I'm hoping it'll be long underway by then....I mentioned it
several times today at the McAuliffe conference....I did 4  presentations
today.  Two on K12LTSP and Linux in Ed in general.....one on
Ubuntu.....and a Skype tele-conference/presentation with Jon "Maddog" Hall
who happened to be in Brazil today.....that, I have to admit, was pretty
cool.  Essentially Maddog and I had a conversation in front of a full
session (we ran out of chairs) and he did an OpenOffice Impress
presentation (that I controlled on my end) to the audience.  Maddog is a
great guy and a Linux legend (pres of Linux International and close friend
to Linus)....I've met him many times and had the opportunity to get to
know him and talk at length with him last summer at our NELS conference.
(He was there the entire 3 days)  The facts and so forth that he presents
in his talks...never cease to amaze me.

The reception for a "Tux Mag" style publication for education was VERY
positive.  We need to move on this idea.  One of the best ways to get
started would be to post a wiki where the raw text of the submissions
could begin.  I'll see if I can't throw up a MoinMoin or a Dokuwiki
sometime tomorrow and we can play.  (not a big fan of MediaWiki....so
don't ask.....I love Twiki, but hate the install.....Dokuwiki is the
easiest tro install and most newbie friendly....MoinMoin is the most
aesthetically pleasing.....I can put up both and we can pick one after
playing.

Tim....if you'd rather host it....go for it.  (but Mediawiki ain't for
newbies...too cryptic in its formatting syntax stuff)  MoinMoin is easy to
set up and Dokuwiki is a cinch....(simply unpack it in the directory you
want it to live in)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School