[K12OSN] 8 Minutes to Open Open Office 2

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Sat Oct 1 15:44:02 UTC 2005

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005, Edward Holcroft wrote:

> While I don't have a solution, I just want to confirm the same problem on ten
> of our 4.4.1 servers with a range of motherboards and NICs. These are all very
> simple "K12LTSP only" environments, no Samba shares, LDAP or anything like
> that. They all worked perfectly until upgraded. Unfortunately I sent a techie
> to upgrade a bunch of our sites, so that's what he did! Now they all have a
> problem. They're all systems with 20 workstations. Everything except OOo runs
> well.
>
> In our case slow opening means about one to one and a half minutes, not eight
> - but still too much for any user to bear.
>
> Will try the Sun Java option suggested by Dan as soon as I'm back in the
> office on Monday and give feedback to the list.
>
> cheers
> ed

In the case of an upgrade, SELinux might also be a problem.

Here are the two things I would try:

1) make sure that your file system is labeled with the correct
    security contexts:  (note, this takes a while and is a CPU hog!)

 		 restorecon -Rv /

2) if the previous step does not do the trick, you can try putting
    SELinux in "permissive" mode:

 		echo 0 > /selinux/enforce

-Eric