[K12OSN] can't get vncserver to start

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun Oct 2 15:23:53 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-01 at 23:48, Debbie Schiel wrote:

> I have two boxes running K12LTSP
> #1 - Redhat Linux Fedora 2 - Squid Proxy box
> #2 - Redhat Linux Fedora 1 - FileServer/Intranet etc
>
> I can get the VNC server running on #2
> via webmin at https://10.0.0.1:10000/init/edit_action.cgi?0+vncserver it says
> VNC started now? YES plus I can connect to it using a VNC viewer within the
> school network
>
> BUT I can't get the VNC started on #1
> webmin @ http://10.0.0.139:10000/init/edit_action.cgi?0+vncserver says VNC
> started now? NO  and I don't know why.
> When I click on 'start now' it says
> Executing /etc/rc.d/init.d/vncserver start ..
> Starting VNC server: [  OK  ]
>
> But despite that, it doesn't start.
> And xinetd is running too.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to where I could be going wrong?

If you install the k12ltsp distribution instead of a
stock fedora, xinetd should be starting vnc instead of
the vncserver init script.  Xinetd gives you a new session
for every connection, where vncserver starts long-running
sessions per port so you can re-connect.  Check
/etc/xinetd.d/vnc to be sure the service exists and
is not disabled.  If you change anything, you have
to restart xinetd.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com