[K12OSN] Re: Which Windows apps stand in the way of Linux use at yourschool?

Dan Kegel daniel.r.kegel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 16:36:32 UTC 2005

On 10/3/05, Larry McPherson <lmcpherson at mail.sumner.k12.me.us> wrote:
> 	I moved four PCs back to Windows so that I can run Accelerated
> Reader, and do testing on client desktops in four class rooms.  I know this
> product has a web version for Windows, but since we already have licensing
> for it to run on Windows and Windows 98 - it is cheaper to install Windows
> on a minimum number of PCs.
>
> 	I'm also moving a SPED PC back to Windows so the teacher can run
> Lexia Comprehensive Reading Tests K-12, Quick Reading Tests K-12, Teaching
> Reading, Early Reading ages 4-6, Reading S.O.S. ages 9-adult.

OK, thanks for the list!

> 	I'm interested in any notes (how-tos) you may have on Wine as well.

All I have personally right now is
http://kegel.com/wine/qa/

It would be a great help to me if people could try the latest wine in cvs
and then file bug reports at bugs.winehq.org for
their gotta-have apps that don't run.  The web page I mentioned above
is intended to help people get started testing wine and filing or triaging bugs.
Wine has really come a long ways lately; things that wouldn't install
in the past are much more likely to install successfully now.  The battle
is moving towards getting the installed apps to run properly, and
things are really looking up there, too.

Thanks,
Dan