[K12OSN] Which Windows apps stand in the way of Linux use at yourschool?

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Mon Oct 3 19:47:05 UTC 2005

> 	I moved four PCs back to Windows so that I can run Accelerated
> Reader, and do testing on client desktops in four class rooms.  I know
> this
> product has a web version for Windows, but since we already have
> licensing
> for it to run on Windows and Windows 98 - it is cheaper to install
> Windows
> on a minimum number of PCs.
>
> 	I'm also moving a SPED PC back to Windows so the teacher can run
> Lexia Comprehensive Reading Tests K-12, Quick Reading Tests K-12,
> Teaching
> Reading, Early Reading ages 4-6, Reading S.O.S. ages 9-adult.
>
> 	I'm interested in any notes (how-tos) you may have on Wine as well.

Not only does the web version of AR work with Linux thin clients, the
cost of porting is rather modest ($300, iirc). It was worth that and
the hosting not to have to deal with teachers unable to map/connect to
our AR server. You can port it and host it for the cost of Dell or two
using Windows. Never again will I have to hear the words, "I can't find
the server."

TuxPaint is a worthy KidPix replacement.

regards, William