[K12OSN] Which Windows apps stand in the way of Linux use at your school?

John Baillie jbaillie at stmarys-school.org
Tue Oct 4 00:03:51 UTC 2005

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 08:10:32AM -0400, Terrell Prudé, Jr. wrote:
>
>>In no particular order, here are the major apps that I know about that
>>our schools use.  Any one of these is, sadly, considered to be a show-
>>stopper.
>>

> <snip>
>
>>- KidPix
>>- Adobe Photoshop
>
> <snip>
>
> Any reason Tux Paint and Gimp aren't suitable replacements for you?
>
> -bill!

Well... Our teachers just came back from a two day inservice. One of the
topics/presentations was Inspiration. Inspriation has some cool features
but I doubt that our teachers would use most of them. I suggested that
creative use of Impress might work as a replacement. The answer I got
was "Most of the work has already been done for the teachers with
Inspiration"

So here I go... I'm climbing on my soap box...

Teachers only have X amount of computer time computer time for the
students. They only have X amount of time that they are going to invest
into learning software and making lesson plans to fit the curriculum
using said software.

One of the perceived advantages these software offerings have over many
foss offerings is that there is already many lesson plans available and
some even map to state and or local standards, or so customers are lead
to believe.

Teachers will build on and adapt an existing lesson plan using said
software but few start from scratch. As more teachers use foss
alternatives and post their instructions on how they use it more will
use it and adapt it. Some of these "traditional" programs have been
around for quite a while. Linux and foss is pretty new on the scene.

John