[K12OSN] Re: Which Windows apps stand in the way of Linux use atyour school?

Keith Olson ksoftconsulting at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 14:24:32 UTC 2005

Henry Hartley wrote:

>On Monday, October 03, 2005 8:34 PM, Matt Oquist said:
>

>>>Also, kids can freely install the GIMP at home; they probably
>>>have to use Photo$hop at school unless they've pirated it.
>>>

>While GIMP is quite remarkable, I find that it really isn't anywhere
>near as good as Photoshop.  This isn't the same situation as OpenOffice
>vs MS Office where OOo is pretty comparable or Firefox vs Internet
>Explorer where Firefox is noticeably better.  Don't get me wrong, the
>GIMP is quite good and feature-wise, it's coming on strong.  I'm trying
>to use it all I can and it's getting better.  I do find that the things
>I hate the most, though, are user interface issues that are probably
>considered features by the developers.  It can be really annoying to
>use.
>
>On the other hand, the cost of Photoshop is pretty outrageous and I
>happily recommend the GIMP to anyone not interested in paying that price
>(even the student price!).  For education, and particularly at the
>elementary school level I think the GIMP is plenty good enough.  As was
>stated by someone else, the biggest advantage to Photoshop will be the
>amount of training material that is available.  Much of it would not
>easily translate to the GIMP (with an emphasis on the 'easily').  With
>the progress being made by the GIMP team, by the time these kids are
>liable to be doing this outside the school setting, it's going to be
>much better.

I really must agree with you about the interface.  I'm a die-hard Paint
Shop Pro fan myself, and going from it's logical & easy-to-use interface
to GIMP was quite a shock - It took me /forever/ to do the simplest
things.  While I suppose I could have become proficient in using it
/eventually/, I really don't want to. <G>  What the developers /should/
do (IMHO), is offer a more standard interface as either an option or a
separate compile, then maybe more people would use it.

--
Keith Olson
K-Soft Consulting

girresistiblys at tschizogonicm.int    gbipinnariab at jactiums.com