[K12OSN] Server Partitioning

Barry Solof barry at yellowdog.com
Tue Oct 4 19:33:40 UTC 2005

Hi,

We are close to having a K12ltsp system for a local school.  Finally!

We managed to find a used Dell server with two 1gig processors and 3
gigs of RAM.  Since our original budget for a new server was slashed to
nothing this will do nicely under the circumstances.

We'll probably start with one or two classrooms (6 - 12 terminals) at
first and expand until we fill all the classrooms or the server gets too
slow.

There are a number of docs on the net about server hard drive
partitioning but nothing that seems geared specifically to K12LTSP or
LTSP.  Any words of wisdom would be a great help.

This server has six 8.4gig scsi hard drives.  One drive will probably be
left for a failover so we really have 8.4*5= 42 gig of usable space.

What would be a good way to partition these 5 drives to provide the best
speed using K12LTSP?

Many thanks,
Barry