[K12OSN] Netgear GS748T switch

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Oct 5 00:31:46 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 17:53, Terrell Prudé, Jr. wrote:

> If you choose to go with this switch, also make sure, before you do,
> that it *fully* supports GVRP.  This is a protocol that allows the
> propagation of VLAN information across multiple switches; think of it
> as the open version of Cisco's proprietary VTP.  If you don't have
> either GVRP or VTP, then you're looking at manually configuring VLANs
> across all your switching architecture.  Since all of my schools run
> multiple VLANs with at least ten switches per school (our secondary
> schools now have over 100 switches!), not having this feature is a
> major problem for us.  That's the chief reason we went with Cisco
> instead of Amer.com; a year ago, we actually were considering the
> latter.  However, if you're dealing with just three to five switches,
> then it may not be an issue.

I'll telnet to 100 switches and paste in your list of vlans for
a lot less than the Cisco switches cost. Unless you change them
all the time you've saved a couple of minutes per switch. In fact
I do it that way even on Ciscos because I've always been afraid
that someone would put a switch from the lab on the main net and
it would decide to become the master and tell the others about the
wrong vlans.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com