[K12OSN] Shockwave on LInux? w/o spending $1000?

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Wed Oct 5 14:49:54 UTC 2005

David Trask wrote:
> I don't think of it as money down the drain at all, but I don't need the
> total functionality of Crossover Office....you used to have a product
> called Crossover plugin....that's all I need....I simply want some plugins
> to work with Firefox on K12LTSP that don't currently work.  If I got
> Crossover Pro...how does the licensing scheme work...and will it work
> multi-user?  I basically would need 25 licenses to cover my lab and a
> couple other stations concurrently as 99% of what we use Shockwave plugin
> for is done in the lab.  Flash works fine and that covers a LOT of what we
> use....I just want that little extra.  I'm trying to do some stuff on
> Netsmartzkids.org  and a few things simply won't work...I'm not 100% sure
> that it's shockwave, but a lot of what I run into is.  Ideas?
> Recommendations?

Yeah, we rolled the Plugin functionality into Office; it just
became untenable from a support perspective to have it out
separately.

Based on other responses, it sounds like you may not need
Shockwave (which is good, trust me <grin>).

Just for completeness, though, I'm going to provide quick
answers.  But I am feeling that I'm going too far
into 'advertising', so I'd appreciate further followups
off line.

Licensing is based on a complex technology we use called
"Trusting your customers".  We ask for a license for each
concurrent user; it's all honor system based.  You can install it
once on an LTSP server and all users will automatically pick it up.

We're also very flexible on licensing; if you have a unique situation,
you can contact us, and we'll try to make things work.  We've
also recently developed a very modest ability to help
break logjams in educational software, so if something doesn't
work 'out of the box', it may still be worth pinging us.

</ad>

Cheers,

Jeremy