[K12OSN] Shockwave on LInux? w/o spending $1000?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Oct 5 18:10:43 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 02:08:05PM -0400, David Trask wrote:
> The videos on this page won't play
> http://www.netsmartzkids.org/tunes/index.htm    do they for you?

The UI on that seems to be mostly Flash.  The central part where it looks
like videos are supposed to play is an IFRAME.  There's JavaScript to fill
the source of that IFRAME, for example, to the following URL:

  http://www.netsmartzkids.org/tunes/uyn.htm

Looking at the page's source (I don't get videos on the main page, or by
looking directly at the IFRAME URL above using Mozilla on Windows XP),
it appears the video is simply an embedded WMV.

So, no Shockwave.  (Those are typically used for complex interactive games.)
Not even AVI-embedded-in-Flash.  Just a plain video file.

I believe most browsers can play embedded videos like this, with the
appropriate plugins.  I have a feeling that on Linux, MPlayer might need
to be used.

I was actually also able to figure out that WMVs were involved by simply
hitting View->Page Info and selecting the Media tab in Mozilla. :^)

Good luck!

(I have no idea how to get the video to play under Windows in Mozilla.)
(I also cannot play the videos in Internet Explorer since apparently I don't
have Macromedia Flash... even though all of the Flash components were working
for me in Mozilla.  Man, IE is lame! >:^P )

--
-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/