[K12OSN] rsync

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Oct 7 14:41:20 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 09:32, Brandon Kovach wrote:
> I am going to share home directories from server 1 in a few hours.  I have
> home directories on server 2 with a certain amount of data in them (small
> amount).  I think that I need to rsync the data from server 2 to server 1.
>  I think the following command is how I should do it:
>
> rsync -av server_2_ip:/home server_1_ip:/home
>
> If the command is run from server 2 as root.
>
> Can anyone confirm this is correct?

You don't need to mention the hostname or ip on paths local to the
machine, and I always get confused about whether a directory name
mentioned in the source will be created as an extra level on
the target or not, so I would log into server 2 as root, cd to
/home and:
ssh -essh -av . server1_ip:/home
Using '.' (current directory) as the source make it impossible to
end up with everything under /home/home/ on the target...

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com