[K12OSN] rsync

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Fri Oct 7 17:17:33 UTC 2005

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 09:32:12AM -0500, Brandon Kovach wrote:
> I am going to share home directories from server 1 in a few hours.  I have
> home directories on server 2 with a certain amount of data in them (small
> amount).  I think that I need to rsync the data from server 2 to server 1.
>  I think the following command is how I should do it:
>
> rsync -av server_2_ip:/home server_1_ip:/home
>
> If the command is run from server 2 as root.
>
> Can anyone confirm this is correct?

I believe you want to add a trailing slash to both directories.
If you don't, I think the above command will create a new "home"
directory inside the existing /home one.

Also, if this command is run from a shell on "server_2", then you don't
need to specify an IP address for the source.

So the desired command would be:

rsync -av /home/ server_1_ip:/home/

Calvin

--