[K12OSN] 8 Minutes to Open Open Office 2

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Fri Oct 7 23:46:29 UTC 2005

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Oh, and more simply: could you make sure that the
> network is healthy?  You know, ping times below 1 ms,
> no packet loss, speed 100Mbit/sec, full duplex.
> And gigabit from the server to the hub.
>
> Any latency or packet loss can kill quality
> of remote X sessions for apps that are bad
> about tolerating latency.

Is it possible that only Open Office could be affected in an unhealthy
network setting?  Thanks for the suggestion.  mii-tool already revealed
that the gig to gig connection was negotiated at 100Mbit.  We'll have to
use iptraf now to observe utilization of the interface.

Our DOE has recently closed ssh, so we have to time our observations and
assistance much more carefully.

--scott