[K12OSN] 8 Minutes to Open Open Office 2

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Sat Oct 8 02:49:43 UTC 2005

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Dan Kegel wrote:

> On 10/7/05, R. Scott Belford <scott at hosef.org> wrote:
>>> Any latency or packet loss can kill quality
>>> of remote X sessions for apps that are bad
>>> about tolerating latency.
>>
>> Is it possible that only Open Office could be affected in an unhealthy
>> network setting?
>
> Latency affects different X applications differently.
> Application developers make decisions that greatly
> affect the number of network round trips needed
> to bring up an application.
>
> You may want to file a bug against OpenOffice
> once you quantify this a bit and verify that it
> really is a network issue, and whether the thing
> that bugs OpenOffice is latency, packet loss, or bandwidth.
> Sun may want to pay a bit of attention to this issue.
> - Dan

I'm pretty sure that OOo has been heavily audited for
these types of issues.

A year or so ago Jim and I sat down and talked with Jim Gettys
and Keith Packard about X's network transparency. Jim and Keith
talked about how they were working with the developers of popular
X applications (Mozilla/Firefox and OOo in particular) to help
them improve over-the-network performance. If you are going to
have your X code audited, it would be rather difficult to find
someone more qualified than Jim Gettys and Keith Packard ;-)

-Eric