[K12OSN] 8 Minutes to Open Open Office 2 (mii-tool obsolete)

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Sat Oct 8 17:02:38 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Friday, October 7, 2005 at 7:57 PM +0000 wrote:
>will mii-tool show a gig-e nic to a gig-e switch that is feeding 100mb
>connections as a gig-e connection? I don't know...it seems to me that it
>should...but at the same time if the largest thing talking to it is
>100mb .. blah I dunno the answer to this.
>
>--Huck

no....mii-tool will not do gigabit....it is outdated...the following is
from the top of the manpage for mii-tool

NOTE
       This  program  is  obsolete. Valid media are only 100baseT4,
100baseTx-
       FD,100baseTx-HD, 10baseT-FD and 10baseT-HD ethernet cards. For
replace-
       ment check ethtool.

I have used ethtool....it's installed with K12LTSP...and most other
distros.  Works fine and gives lots of  useful info.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcsvikings.org