[K12OSN] Problem with 4.4.1, nas, SDL

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Tue Oct 11 17:24:50 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've been having a problem with network sound since upgrading to
4.4.1 (from 4.2, so I assume it's an issue with 4.4.0, too).

I'd previously set the clients up with nasd as their sound server, and
sound worked fine.  After the upgrade, the SDL-enabled programs (gcompris,
childsplay, playwave) no longer work.

I know the libaudiooss library is still being used, since I get error
messages from it if I delete the ":0.0" from the end of the AUDIOSERVER
environmental variable.

But when AUDIOSERVER is the normal value (workstation name plus ":0.0"),
the above-mentioned programs simply state that they can't open the sound
device.

This is true of both my home system (an upgrade from 4.2) and a client's
system (a fresh 4.4.1 install).

FWIW, ltsp_esound_i386 and ltsp_esound_server are installed, and
LD_PRELOAD _is_ being set to /lib/libaudiooss.so.1.0.

Auplay works, and so do ogg321 and mpg321 (when using "oss" as the
output device), so I know the sound hardware and nasd server on
the workstation are OK.

Does anyone have a clue as to what can be wrong? Since an strace on
gcompris show's it's querying port 16001 on the workstation, should I
just switch the default sound daemon to esd?

Thanks in advance,

Calvin
--
Calvin Dodge