[K12OSN] tuxpaint and others running slow

Terrell Prudé, Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Oct 13 12:42:23 UTC 2005

TuxType is known to use 73Mb/sec *per client* at 1024x768 at 16-bit
color.  And your server's on 100BaseTX?  No wonder you're having
slowness issues!  :-)

Yes, go Gig-E on your server.  After you've done that, then do a Gig-E
link between the main lab switch and the second lab switch, or the folks
in the second lab will have a problem (73Mb * 8 terminals = way more
than 100Mb).  Look, it's either that or spend tons more money on Windows
boxes, with virus/worm issues, BSA audit threats, etc.; you're still
saving major, major cash here, dude.

--TP