[K12OSN] tuxpaint and others running slow

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Oct 14 20:06:45 UTC 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 02:59:12PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 14:33, Bill Kendrick wrote:
>
> > Mad Bomber does less blitting... just erasing and redrawing the bombs
> > as they fall.
>
> Shouldn't cards with 2d acceleration do the work of moving existing
> things around where an erase/redraw takes more cpu and bandwidth?

Well, the app has to tell the video driver/hardware/whatever _what_
things to erase/draw.  If it's lazy (like Defendguin) and says
"erase everything... now, redraw this, and this, and this, and this..."
there's no chance for the video card to make things easy on the CPU
and, in a thin-client situation, the network.

So, again, apps like Tux Typing 2 should provide some less graphics-intensive
options for people stuck with lower-end networks (10Mbps and 100Mbps)
in their thin client setups.  Just my opinion, of course.  I have no
real-world experience with K12LTSP. :^/

--
-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com