[K12OSN] migration question - nfs freezing?

Frank Lee frank at oobschools.org
Wed Oct 19 19:25:54 UTC 2005

On 9/21/05 1:31 PM, "Antonello Facchetti" <ollenotna2000 at yahoo.it> wrote:

> Petre Scheie wrote:
>
>> I had a similar problem with an older client that was running an ISA
> 3Com NIC over coax.  Jim McQuillan pointed me to
> http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/NFS to fix the problem.  Also,
> this past weekend, I tried out an old 486 with a PCI NIC (with a RealTek
> 8139 chip) that had similar symptoms when it was connected to my 100Mbit
> switch.  I moved it to an old 10Mbit hub, which then had an upstream
> link to the 100Mbit switch to which the server was connected, and then
> it worked fine.  HTH
>>
>> Petre
>>
> that was it!
> I solved the problem adding the two lines suggested in the wiki to lts.conf.
> The problem was caused by 100Mbit nics connecting through a 100/1000
> switch to a server with 1000Mbit nic.
>
> thank you a lot
>
> Antonello

Hi, I know this was a while ago, I'm running into the sort-of the same
thing.  However I'm a little confused.

The issue described in the WIKI is spot-on.  Out of the box 4.2.1 works on a
100Mb NIC thru a Gb switch to my 7 iMacs.  No problems.

I upgraded the card to a Gb NIC, and tried to change everything over without
a reinstall, and well, I made more of a mess than I should have.

So I reinstalled.  Figured while I was at it, might as well download and
install the 4.4.1 iso's.

On boot I get your problem.  NFS  Server 192.168.0.254 not responding, will
keep trying.  I went through the steps in the WIKI and now I get:

NFS  Server 192.168.0.254 not responding, will keep trying
NFS  Server 192.168.0.254 not responding, will keep trying
NFS  Server 192.168.0.254 OK

And then it hangs.  The WIKI has you change the dhcpd.conf file.  You said
something about changing the lts.conf?  I can't seem to figure out what
needs to be changed in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf

Do you remember what you did there?

-F

--
Frank P. Lee