[K12OSN] ipod as a usb-device

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 13:58:51 UTC 2005

What I'm about to say was correct 9 months ago, when I
was helping my sister get her iPod working under
linux.

There are 2 basic versions of the iPod.  One for
Windows and one for Mac.  The Windows version is
formatted FAT32, and the Mac version is formatted
HFS+.  If he's got a Mac version, check and see if
you've got HFS+ support.  You can also reformat the
iPod to FAT32--there are instructions here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/answers.php?action=viewarticle&artid=327

There are also different "generations" of iPod, and my
sister's 4th gen Windows version has a bug (perhaps an
intentional bug) in the firmware which caused her
linux system to lock up whenever the iPod was
connected to her computer (which was running Mandrake
10.1).  This was corrected by removing support for a
certain type of filesystem, and I can't remember the
name of it (but I'll keep looking and report back to
you).  The lockup occured when the operating system
was trying to identify what filesystem the iPod uses,
and it was getting hung up as it was "going through
its list".

Try it on the server and see if it's an LTSP problem
or if it's an iPod/Linux problem.

-Rob