[K12OSN] wierd happenings when updating server

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Fri Oct 21 16:51:43 UTC 2005

This isn't necessarily a good solution, but when you install, you may want to do the
disk partitioning yourself and not use LVM.  The RH/FC installer defaults to using LVM.
  You give up the ability to merge multiple disks into one volume, but today's disks are
so huge that giving that up isn't much of a loss.  The benefits are that 1) you avoid
the problem you're having; if a partition goes bad, say /boot, you can boot a Knoppix
disk and mount the root partition from the damaged disk and still recover your data.
With LVM, that kind of rescue becomes much more difficult if not impossible.

Ironically, for years I complained about Linux not having logical volumes; Novell had
them 15+ years ago.  Then, when RH started making it part of its stock install, I
decided that LVM presents to great of a risk, and now I do my partitioning manually,
creating just plain-vanilla ext3 partitions.

Petre