[K12OSN] Re: Saving Monitor Power

Terrell Prudé, Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Oct 22 14:13:16 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 21:56 -0700, Carl Keil wrote:

>     *   /From/: Robert Arkiletian <robark gmail com>
>     * /To/: "Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn
>       redhat com>
>     * /Subject/: Re: [K12OSN] Re: Saving Monitor Power
>     * /Date/: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:41:39 -0700

> On 10/21/05, Carl Keil <carl snarlnet com> wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply and the suggestion.  I tried that, and all the other settings (standby, offtime, etc) singly and in pairs.  Nothing worked.  Any other suggestions?
>
> Did you reboot the clients after you made the changes to lts.conf?
> I'm using 4.2.1EL
>
> --
> Robert Arkiletian
> C++ GUI tutorial http://fltk.org/links.php?V19
>

> Yeah, I rebooted everything, even the server (due to unrelated maintenance).  Now one client sleeps and the other doesn't.
>
> The one that sleeps gets logged into with Gnome and it's an NEC monitor.  The other runs KDE and is a Dell monitor.  I really have no idea what effects this behavior though.

I've see that one before.  I have a 21-inch HP P1110 CRT monitor that
won't go to sleep, but the screen saver turns on just fine.  However, my
Sharp 19-inch LCD monitor goes to sleep flawlessly.  I also have an
Optiquest 19-inch CRT that goes to sleep as it should, but that has
another issue specific to X11 and start-up (there's a delay of 2-3
minutes before X11 starts, depending on the X11 version).

Note that it has nothing to do with whether you're running KDE or GNOME.
I see the above behaviour regardless of which desktop I'm running.

--TP