[K12OSN] dhcpd yum update WARNING

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Sun Oct 23 18:48:38 UTC 2005

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 phealy at dsta.net wrote:

> Today's update to dhcp.i386 10:3.0.2-24.FC4 via yum
> overwrites /etc/dhcp.conf with an unworking file containing the
> following three lines:
>
>        #
>        # DHCP Server Configuration file.
>        #   see /usr/share/doc/dhcp*/dhcpd.conf.sample
>
> This prevents all thin clients from booting!!!!
>
> There's no rpm.save file created, forcing a manual download and
> reinstall of a working basic /etc/dhcpd.conf from:
>
> dhcp-ltsp-config-0.0.5-k12ltsp.1.4.2
>
> ... unless, of course, one had proper current backup files laying
> around...
>
> Hope Eric sees this before Monday.
>
> -- Pat Healy
> Palm Desert High School

I rebuilt the updated dhcp package to exclude the sample /etc/dhcpd.conf.
I also bumped up the version number for dhcp-ltsp-config, which
contains the K12LTSP version of /etc/dhcpd.conf, so it will automagically
be replaced for anyone who may have been bitten by this.

Pat, I cannot come up with a scenario that results in /etc/dhcpd.conf
being replaced and no /etc/dhcpd.conf.rpmsave backup copy being
created. How did you upgrade the dhcp package?

Every scenario I have tried the package manager did the right thing
(i.e. the working /etc/dhcpd.conf was not modified).

-Eric