[K12OSN] webex like application

Jon Spriggs jon.spriggs at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 20:51:42 UTC 2005

On 21/10/05, Scott Sherrill <scott at remc1.org> wrote:
> rmcdaniel at indata.us wrote:
> >Has anyone come across a webex like application for Linux that is
> >opensource????
> well for Windows --- definitely check out Ultra VNC's single click.
> User can download an application that will "phone home" back to your
> listening server.  Similar to webex but again only works for connecting
> to and from Windows --- but it's free.
Strictly speaking, Webex will run on Linux, you just need to use the
right browser... My brother was doing some work with Webex a couple of
years back - you need to make sure they know that one end is running
Linux, and which version of Netscape or Firefox you are using.

If you're determined to go with something which can be used for free,
then VNC has a fairly limited web server which will give you the
ability to go to a web page and sign in.

There is a down-side to VNC, in that it doesn't ask for a username,
just a password which means that you can't see who has accessed the
server using it.

Jon