[K12OSN] K12LTSP: High School Experiences

Frank Lee frank at oobschools.org
Mon Oct 24 20:16:46 UTC 2005

On 10/24/05 3:55 PM, "Larry Mateo" <LarryM at fsusd.k12.ca.us> wrote:

> I'm requesting that some members of the K12LTSP community please write about
> positive and negative experiences that have been encountered when running a
> K12LTSP system at the high school level.
>
> We at the Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District have three K12LTSP systems
> running in middle schools; environments in which the students are either
> disinterested in or ignorant of the underlying technology, so we have few
> problems with security, hacking, gaming and like issues that we have
> encountered with our NetWare systems at the high schools.  We are debating
> installing K12LTSP systems in high schools, and would like some input on
> real-world issues we will be facing and their possible solutions.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Larry Mateo

We are starting K12LTSP on a small scale here.  Ten clients spread out
through our English classes at the HS.  They're all old tray-loader iMacs
too.  A great way to recycle our old computers... Put them to use, not to
bed!

I had one hiccup with the setup, but I think that was a side effect of our
network here.

Otherwise, all is well so far.  We just made it through our first few days.
It was **AMAZING**.  I didn't even have to do any explaining.  Kids who have
never seen Linux, found Open Office and Firefox in seconds and were off on
their way working and surfing.

I'd be glad to let you know how things go as we start out on this adventure
ourselves.

-F

--
Frank P. Lee