[K12OSN] K12LTSP: High School Experiences

Edward Holcroft edward at netday.org.za
Mon Oct 24 20:28:38 UTC 2005

Larry

We at NetDay South Africa have deployed 50 K12LTSP computer labs into
the harshest environments Africa has to offer and I cannot praise it
enough. We have tried a number of thin client solutions and K12LTSP
is still tops.

It handles near any level of user abuse (mostly through ignorance
rather than intent), as well as physical environments that are
challenging to say the least. The only real breakages we've had is
when there has been power outages and the server has repeatedly gone
down without being shut down. Even then, the install routine is so
slick that the teachers have reinstalled the system themselves,
thanks to Eric's well-written templates of all the key files.

Not sure how helpful this is for where you live, but it's been great
for us in South Africa. Most of our labs are 20 P1 clients off a P4
desktop PC as a server, but have also done 40 P1 off a dual Xeon box.
In both cases we have had an almost impossibly low level of support
issues, despite heavy usage in hot, dusty conditions.

cheers
ed