[K12OSN] Defending education usage for k12ltsp

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Mon Oct 24 23:49:31 UTC 2005

First, I want to say "Good Luck to you, I wish you all the best".

That said...

I think the main thing I would try to focus them on is the ultimate
cost.  Manpower, software, hardware, spyware, virus, security issues
etc. costs involved in a Windows lab (particularly a Win98 lab) will all
add up VERY quickly. I assume that this would all have to be a 'new
cost' that would have to be explained, approved, and bugeted.  And since
you have already proven that for the last 1 1/2 years your current
set-up is acceptable they /SHOULD/ have to do a lot of explaining.
(Especailly since they will be going to an OS that is no longer
supported and will not have secuity updated after June of 2006)

As for the educational software, find out what it is they want to do.
There are a TON of sites out there now that students can use for no
cost, and even more if you include those sites that can be used when a
school pays for them.  Many of those sites 'for cost' sites then allow a
student to use the application while at home as well.  Also focus on the
idea that we should be teaching students ideas, not applications. A
pet-peeve of mine is when someone says "we should be using MS Word since
everyone does."  Lets teach the kids how to write, not how to use a
particular application !!!!! (RANT OVER)

Odd thing is as I am typing this, my 2nd grader is playing on
www.starfall.com and my 4 & 3 yr olds are happy playing along with her.
Some other sites she likes are:

http://www.starfall.com
http://www.funbrain.com
http://www.primarygames.com
http://www.iknowthat.com
And although i do not like about.com -- this can be a good place to
start to look for other:
http://homeschooling.about.com/od/games/