[K12OSN] Defending education usage for k12ltsp

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 18:06:48 UTC 2005

Hello everyone.

So here's the update. Met with the principal, and she's convinced.  It
was a bit iffy at first, but everything ended up ok.

First she came loaded with a stck of Reader-rabbit and other
multimedia CDs from the 1990s.     We started talking about the
requirements for the students and the school, and after getting a list
of them, I went through all the software that was already installed on
the server, plus the websites that someone suggested (they are great,
BTW).  By the end of it, she was convinced that the lab is fine as is.
 The windows machines that they had brought in will be deployed in the
classrooms as standalone machines for those games, but the lab will be
used for everything else.

The whole thing, however, is conditional on getting sound to work on
all the machines.  We never needed it before, so I had it deactivated,
but now I need to get it working. So far I've got a couple of the
clients working withsound, but I've noticed a serious drop in
application/website speed. I guess this is the penalty I'll have to
pay for the setup.  If it becomes too slow, I know this whole
conversation will happen again, this time with the sound issue on
their side. Any suggestions?

thank you,
Joseph