[K12OSN] Idea for when Windows programs need to be run...

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Oct 27 15:38:34 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 09:59, Steve Hargadon wrote:

> I'm interested in the feedback of the group--would this be helpful, or
> do people want to do this on their own. Because there is both Win4Lin
> licensing, Microsoft licensing, along with the installation and
> configuring, we are thinking this might be a good thing to "package."

I'm not even a potential customer for this, but another interesting
package/license bundle would be to build a VMware image containing
windows2003 server, an assortment of the programs that you still
have to run under windows, and some number of terminal services
client licenses.  I'm not sure if it would even be legal to sell
such a thing as a product, but it probably could be done by acting
as a contractor to create it for the customer.

The advantage of this would be that you could pretend that you had
a windows2003 server without the problems of installing and managing
one which would be a very good thing if you are trying to phase
it out anyway. If you have plenty of CPU, you could run it on your
k12ltsp server and if not, any similar machine would work. From
rdesktop or any other network point of view it would be impossible
to tell that you didn't really have a separate machine.  If you have
viruses or other corruption, you could reinstall everything just by
copying back the image file, and you could move the whole thing to
a very different machine just as easily.  There is even a free
VMware runtime now so that eliminates most of the extra cost you
would expect.

--
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com