[K12OSN] Setting the default homepage on client browsers

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu Oct 27 16:29:11 UTC 2005

Oh, we like really basic questions; makes us all feel smart and useful. ;-)

I haven't done it, but I think you need to modify the
/usr/lib/firefox-1.0.6/chrome/en-US.jar file.  It's a zipped file and it contains a
bunch of directories and files, so copy it to /tmp, unzip it, and then modify

browser-region/region.properties:homePageDefault=file:///usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html
and
browser-region/region.properties:browser.startup.homepage=http://www.google.com

so they point to the page you want.  Then zip the files and directories back into a new
en-US.jar file, copy the original that's in /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.6/chrome to a safe
place (in case something goes wrong here), put the new en-US.jar file into that
directory, and try it out.

I found info about doing the above at
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/f/topic-3-14-8700-0.html and
http://www.litwiller.net/kiosk_browser/ was also helpful.  Good luck.