[K12OSN] Cheap Windows Terminal Server

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Oct 27 17:00:37 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 11:29, luis.montes at cox.net wrote:
> Vmware recently released a free VM player http://www.vmware.com/products/player/ this doesn't allow you to create the VM's but you can either buy a single copy of vmware workstation to do that($189) or try this guy's method: http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000153064739/

I've played with earlier demos of VMware workstation so I know what this
can do, but haven't tried the player yet.  It claims not to run more
than one session.  Does that mean you can only have one virtual machine
per host or can you run more than one copy of the player, each with a
single virtual machine?  Running a single server that offers terminal
services should eliminate this issue, but then it requires the more
expensive win2003 server and client licenses.

> I need a good screen script to run vncviewer locally on the thin client. No reason to log into ltsp just to run vncviewer.
> The screen script should allow a user to choose between linux(starx) and windows(vncviewer).

An interesting variation on more powerful clients would be to run the
play locally - and you could have your choice of running the host
session under windows or linux since you end up with access to both.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com