[K12OSN] Idea for when Windows programs need to be run...

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Oct 27 21:12:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 01:33:13PM -0500, Jeremy White wrote:
> > How does IE do?
>
> It works pretty well; the glitch is that it negates
> our no OS purchase advantage, because you need a legit
> license to use IE.

Really?  Since when?  I thought IE was a free download, or something.
I remember playing with CrossOver Office for a demonstration at LUGOD's
booth at the Gov't Tech. Conf. in Sacramento a coupla years ago, and
CrossOver actually _downloaded_ IE _for_ me. :^)

Not that I would _ever_ personally want to run, or even recommend others use,
that piece of crap.  But...  I guess MS, once again, changed some licensing
scheme?  (Remember those free fonts they _used_ to give away?  Hehe...)

<snip>
> > What Windows educational programs have you got running?
>
> So far, not a heck of a lot.  Some Jumpstart;
> Acclerated Reader is reported to work.  We're
> hoping to rapidly change that, though.

I keep dreaming that it'd be cool to either:

(1) get a huge grant so I can hire a bunch of developers, testers,
    artists, etc., to start creating Open Source alternatives to
    a lot more of the popular educatinal apps... kick Sam's Tux4Kids up a
    notch

(2) get hired by some company that wants to make either Open Source,
    or inexpensive commercial edu apps for Linux (or cross-platform)

(3) get hired by some popular edu. software company to start porting
    their apps to Linux for them

:)

--
-bill!