[K12OSN] Upgrading 4.4 wipes /etc/dhcpd.conf

Karolow, Mike [IT] Mike.Karolow at sprint.com
Fri Oct 28 19:02:00 UTC 2005

From: k12osn-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:k12osn-bounces at redhat.com] On
Behalf Of R. Scott Belford
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2005 1:28 PM
To: Support list for opensource software in schools.
Subject: [K12OSN] Upgrading 4.4 wipes /etc/dhcpd.conf

I recently read a post about an upgrade wiping dhcpd.conf.  It happened
to me yesterday on two boxes that I upgraded.  I am about to have to
deliver new dhcpd.conf files via floppy.

The scenario on both boxes: running 4.4.1 on an amd opteron, 4 gb ram,
10k sata drive.  I ran yumex, refreshed the package list, and installed
the updates.  The clients stopped working.

I checked repos, saw that k12ltsp continues not to remain checked off,
selected it, and refreshed the package list.  Now there was a dhcp
update from the k12 repository.  I was relieved that help was a download

away.  This did not fix the problem.

Both servers now have a blank dhcpd.conf file.  There is no backup, no
rpmsave file, nothing.  Running 'updatedb' and 'locate dhcpd.conf' does
not reveal a misplaced file.  The update simply breaks the installation.

Heads up.  4.4 issues persist, and Open Office still opens slowly.

--scott

--------------

I had this problem last weekend, and got it (sort of) resolved by
rebuilding the dhcp.conf by hand.

I think there's some mistakes in the one I made, but I could not for the
life of me find the file online. I'm no slouch at Googling either.

Can someone post a default 4.4.1 dhcp.comf to the list that will be
easily findable in the future, or is it already in some obvious location
that I overlooked?

Thanks!

Mike Karolow
Volunteer IT Administrator